- March 2021
- February 2021
Creamy Mushroom Soup
Posted By: David Decicco | Posted On:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ pounds cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup sherry
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a 5.5 quart dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, sherry, thyme, 1 teaspoons salt, and 2 tablespoons of butter, stirring occasionally for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Remove the sautéed mushrooms from the skillet. Lower the heat to medium.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and add bay leaves. Add the flour and 1 cup of stock and whisk. Add the rest of the stock, continuing to whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, about 20 minutes.
- Slowly add the heavy cream and the remaining salt. Whisk until combined. Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the mushrooms and bring to a boil.
- Remove the soup from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cracked pepper and olive oil.
Cook’s note: Up your culinary game by garnishing the soup with truffle-infused olive oil and cracked pepper.
All recipes are the courtesy of Lodge Manufacturing, TN USA